Pär or anyone: this patch has been waiting testers for three months now
and is blocking other updates. Please install the update and follow up
here your findings.

Packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-drivers-common in Ubuntu.

  gpu-manager treats all files in /etc/modprobe.d as config files

Status in ubuntu-drivers-common package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in ubuntu-drivers-common source package in Trusty:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  My media center computer have a single nvidia GPU connected to a TV,
  and have for many years been happily using the nvidia driver.
  Unfortunately the recent upgrade to version 1:0.2.91.7 broke X.
  Starting lightdm would fail, delete my xorg.conf and redirect libgl
  symlinks to mesa.

  After some debugging I fond that this was done by gpu-manager, because
  it incorrectly believes that my nvidia module is blacklisted. gpu-
  manager.log contained "Is nvidia blacklisted? yes".

  More debugging determined that this was happening because I have a several
years old file named:
    /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.dpkg-old
  which among other things contain the line "blacklist nvidia".

  However that is _not_ a modprobe config file. modprobe only uses files
  with a .conf extension. (See the man page modprobe.d(5)).
  Unfortunately gpu-manager does not have this restriction and looks in
  all files in /etc/modprobe.d by running:

    grep -G "blacklist.*nvidia[[:space:]]*$" /etc/modprobe.d/*

  I could work-around the bug by removing the .dpkg-old file. However this will
likely break other machines as well. I found two bugs 1373968 and 1374871 about
X not working after installing the latest update. However they does not contain
enough information to determine if they are duplicates of this bug or not.