Public bug reported:

I run a little taskbar app called tint2. I boot it at startup, but about
50% of the time it isn't visible after booting. The other 50% it is. So
I can reboot or logout/login until it sticks. At first I thought it was
a bug in tint2, but now I have found that I don't get this issues when I
run the AMD proprietary driver (fglrx). So I think it might be a problem
in the xserver-xorg-video-ati driver. I have a Radeon HD 8600M series in
a Lenovo S540.

Additional note: when it does not display and I power off the computer,
it is displayed for a brief moment before the computer shuts down. That
makes me think that it is actually a display problem, not a problem of
tint2 not booting at all.

If this is unlikely to be caused by the xserver-xorg-video-ati driver, I
apologize for reporting it here. If you need additional information,
please let me know, I will be happy to provide.

Required info:
1) Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
2) xserver-xorg-video-ati Installed: 1:7.3.0-1ubuntu3.1

** Affects: xserver-xorg-video-ati (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  tint2 taskbar boots irregularly with xserver-xorg-video-ati, boots
  fine with proprietary driver

Status in xserver-xorg-video-ati package in Ubuntu: