> mediatomb is After=network-manager.online,

It should certainly be After=network-online.target, I assume that was a
typo?

> are you saying that it *also* has to Wants= it?

Yes. After= is purely an ordering of units, it doesn't start one.
network-manager.target needs to be Wants= (or Requires=) by an unit who
wants to wait for it. You didn't  give me the status of network-
online.target, but as NetworkManager-wait-online.service actually *did*
run, and waited for a nontrivial amount of time (5s) I suppose that
network-online.target is also running.

Can you please give me the output of "systemctl status network-
manager.online mediatomb.service" to see whether it really started after
that?

  mediatomb starts before network comes online

Status in mediatomb package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  mediatomb fails to start at boot because the network is not yet up.
  It's unit file lists After: network-online.target, but this target
  comes up before NetworkManager has brought the network up.  I'm
  guessing it only counts networks configured in /etc/interfaces.