Hi, is this still a problem on modern Ubuntu versions (trusty, vivid)?

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  distorted sound through IEC958

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: pulseaudio

  All sound that comes through pulseaudio to the speakers connected to a
  docking station is distorted. The output has a high pitch in it.
  Without pulseaudio output is normal. The internal headphone plug is
  not affected by this (and it doesn't use IEC958 for output)

  Computer is a Dell Latitude D610 with ICH6 sound chip.

  So far I've tested that the problem is not in my configuration by
  going around pulseaudio either by setting the default gstreamer output
  to alsasink and by using vlc to output directly to alsa output. Both
  gstreamer pipelines and vlc are affected if the output is redirected
  to pulseaudio.