https://bugzilla.kernel.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Drivers

sound/alsa

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  Sound is muted when plugging in a headphone although volume is up

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:

  Release:      15.04

  When a headphone is plugged in, sound is muted altough the headphone volume
is still up.
  When I open alsamixer I can regain sound on my headphone by unmuting the
speaker channel and increasing the volume on the volume channel. However each
time that I unplug my headphone I need to redo this.
  So it looks like, in contradiction to how the software is programmed and
users understand, the headphone and speaker channels work in serial for
headphone output instead of parallel.
  Because this used to work for years (at least since Ubuntu 12.04, I used them
all), this bug is introduced in the lastest release (15.04).
  I also filed this bug in the alsamixer package, but afterwards I realised
that I probably have filed it at the wrong spot.

  Kind regards,
  Bart

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu4
  ApportVersion: 2.17.2-0ubuntu1.1
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c:   bdekoning   1717 F...m pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p:   bdekoning   1717 F...m pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  bdekoning   1717 F.... pulseaudio
                        bdekoning   2184 F.... alsamixer
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Fri Jun  5 08:58:16 2015
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 15.04 "Vivid Vervet" - Release amd64 (20150422)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  Symptom: audio
  Symptom_Card: Intern geluid - HDA Intel MID
  Symptom_Jack: Black Headphone Out, Left
  Symptom_Type: Volume slider, or mixer problems
  Title: [HP ProBook 6550b, IDT 92HD75B3X5, Black Headphone Out, Left] volume
slider problem
  dmi.bios.date: 10/27/2010
  dmi.bios.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
  dmi.bios.version: 68CDF Ver. F.04
  dmi.board.name: 146E
  dmi.board.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
  dmi.board.version: KBC Version 73.12
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: CNU0483Z5Q
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnHewlett-Packard:bvr68CDFVer.F.04:bd10/27/2010:svnHewlett-Packard:pnHPProBook6550b:pvr:rvnHewlett-Packard:rn146E:rvrKBCVersion73.12:cvnHewlett-Packard:ct10:cvr:
  dmi.product.name: HP ProBook 6550b
  dmi.sys.vendor: Hewlett-Packard