Hi,
I found this problem also occurs on Trusty. No effects when enabling "On Screen
Keyboard" in Universal Access panel which is in unity-control-center.

Although comment #6 mentioned that it works in Trusty, but I found that
the "org.gnome.Shell" actually exits in dbus..

I tried applying the patch (revno:1818 in trunk), and it can fix the
problem.

Packages, which is subscribed to onboard in Ubuntu.

  on-screen keyboard requires expert knowledge to launch in 14.10 Final
  Beta

Status in Onboard on-screen keyboard:
  Fix Released
Status in onboard package in Ubuntu:

  Activating the on-screen keyboard in the settings menu has no effect.
  Trying to manually execute /usr/bin/onboard via pointing-and-clicking opens
up gedit (i.e., it's not recognised as an executable).
  No other keyboard input is available for the device in question, so further
tests via command line (such as confirming that `python /usr/bin/onboard'
starts onboard normally) are not feasible.
  Thus, 14.10 final beta is bootable but completely unusable on some tablet
devices (Surface Pro 3 here).

  (Filing against `onboard' because this might be an `onboard'
  installation issue.)