Same problem here on a certified PowerEdge r820 with Ubuntu server
14.04.2, no GUI installed, only CLI.

The framerate is very slow, using commands like 'ls' or 'less' is almost
painful. Adding vesa or mga drivers didn't change a thing. I cannot put
a personalized xorg.conf since xorg-server is not even installed.

I found two separate workarounds (not fixes) to this:

1. install openssh server and log into the server from another machine.
Everything works fine, fast and responsive.
2. modify /etc/default/grub to reduce the resolution of CLI by editing the line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="" into GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash
vga=1024x768x24". Then run sudo update-grub and reboot. CLI is now low
resolution but fast and responsive.

I didn't try with higher resolution yet. I think I'll settle for using
SSH anyway.

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.

  matrox g200eR2 is unclaimed in 14.04

Status in xorg-server package in Ubuntu:

  On a certified Dell PowerEdge T620 server
  (http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201207-11426/)

  The matrox video card is not recognised:
  lspci | grep VGA
  0a:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. G200eR2

  lshw -C display
    *-display UNCLAIMED
         product: G200eR2
         vendor: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd.
         physical id: 0
         bus info: pci@0000:0a:00.0
         version: 00
         width: 32 bits
         clock: 33MHz
         capabilities: pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list
         configuration: latency=64 maxlatency=32 mingnt=16
         resources: memory:d8000000-d8ffffff memory:deffc000-deffffff
memory:de000000-de7fffff

  Thus xserver is not hardver accelerated.

  Also /dev/dri and /dev/dri/card0 is missing.

  kernel module mga is not loaded, although if i manually load by modprobe it
works fine
  modprobe mga
  lsmod | grep mga
  mga                    40811  0