I've ran some experiments that may be useful.

If, after pasting into the phone's folder in Nautilus, I close the
nautilus window, the copy seems to work more often than not. I've tried
this three times with success, once without, same data.

I've never had it work if I leave the Nautilus window open. I get an
error after about 30 seconds or so "libmtp error:  Could not send
object.". This puts the MTP connection into the unusable state and it
can't be re-mounted, even after unplugging the cable. It has never
worked when leaving the window open, although it could be luck rather
than something directly connected to the problem.

Restarting the computer appears to have no effect. I've tried the a
couple of times.

Restarting the phone appears to recover from the fault instantly (giving
the SD card a few seconds to mount up). I've tried this several times
now.

I also downgraded the backports and proposed packages, this appears to
have had no effect at all.

The results are not entirely consistent, but I hope this apparent
pattern might lead to some useful speculation.

Packages, which is subscribed to libmtp in Ubuntu.

  HTC One M8 MTP fails while copying files

Status in libmtp package in Ubuntu:

  Usually this device mounts with both internal and SD card storage
  appearing in an "Android Phone" folder in nautilus. Sometimes this
  does not work straight away.

  During copying several megabytes of images, with the phone screen on
  and unlocked, a message appears indicating an error copying. Most
  files are copied, even though the progress bar seems to stop at around
  30%. All attempts to access the device in nautilus result in and empty
  set of results where the files normally appear.

  Removing then re-inserting the USB plug gives the message "Unable to
  mount Android Phone Unable to open MTP device '[usb:002,008]'" in a
  pop-up message.

  mtp-detect reports:
  Unable to open ~/.mtpz-data for reading, MTPZ disabled.libmtp version: 1.1.6

  Listing raw device(s)
  Device 0 (VID=0bb4 and PID=0f25) is UNKNOWN.
  Please report this VID/PID and the device model to the libmtp development team
     Found 1 device(s):
     0bb4:0f25 @ bus 2, dev 8
  Attempting to connect device(s)
  ignoring libusb_claim_interface() = -6PTP_ERROR_IO: failed to open session,
trying again after resetting USB interface
  LIBMTP libusb: Attempt to reset device
  LIBMTP PANIC: failed to open session on second attempt
  Unable to open raw device 0
  OK.

  I have tried adding the following udev rule to resolve this:
  $ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/69-libmtp.rules
  # HTC One M8
  ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", ATTR{idProduct}=="0f25", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k",
MODE="660", GROUP="audio", ENV{ID_MTP_DEVICE}="1", ENV{ID_MEDIA_PLAYER}="1"

  I've tried using a different USB port but this has no effect.

  Eventually, after removing and re-inserting the USB cable and being
  patient, it starts working again and it's possible to access the files
  again, but the problem re-occurs very quickly.

  Package: libmtp-common 1.1.6-20-g1b9f164-1ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-55.94-generic 3.13.11-ckt20
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-55-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.11
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity