my initial tests show that disbling the wacom plugin fixes the issue
with hotkeys, volume keys, and even brightness keys (previously even the
restart didn't fix brightness keys for me even though it fixed hotkeys
and volume keys).

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  Media, brightness and volume keys don't work with GNOME 3.15.90

Status in Gnome Settings Daemon:
  Incomplete
Status in GNOME Shell:
  Incomplete
Status in Ubuntu GNOME:
  New
Status in gnome-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu:

  After upgrading Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid to use GNOME 3.15.90 (by using
  gnome3-team/gnome3, gnome3-team/gnome3-staging ppas) media, brightness
  and volume keys from my laptop keyboard stop to work after working
  some time in a session or after suspending the computer.

  If I restart my computer media keys work again.

  Package: gnome-settings-daemon 3.15.90-0ubuntu1~vivid1 [origin:
LP-PPA-gnome3-team-gnome3-staging]
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME
  Date: Tue Mar  3 23:07:33 2015
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-GNOME 14.10 "Utopic Unicorn" - Alpha amd64
(20140923)
  SourcePackage: gnome-settings-daemon