This was fixed by implementing indicator-keyboard, using an abbreviation
of the language name in its icon.
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LanguageAndText#Icon>

** No longer affects: ubuntu-indicator-mods

** Changed in: ayatana-design

** Package changed: gnome-settings-daemon (Ubuntu) => indicator-keyboard
(Ubuntu)

** Changed in: indicator-keyboard (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  Keyboard layout indicator displays country instead of language

Status in Ayatana Design:
  Fix Released
Status in indicator-keyboard package in Ubuntu:

  I think the keyboard layout indicator should display the language name
  or abbreviation instead of a country name. First, as far as I know,
  you don't actually use two country layouts of the same language, so
  this information is not important after you configure your keyboard
  layouts. Second, as an Israeli I find it strange to have "USA" written
  there, as English is an international language. Indeed, computers
  exported to Israel use the USA layout, but this is just a technical
  detail.