Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: flashplugin-nonfree (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to flashplugin-nonfree in Ubuntu.

  Flashplugin-installer forces to download extra files twice

Status in flashplugin-nonfree package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu release: all
  Package version: 11.2.202.411ubuntu0.14.04.1

  On our machines, which we host behind a firewall and proxy, we have
  seen constant popups of the update-notifier for "Failure to download
  extra data files" even when the Flashplugin-installer installation was
  successful.

  I digged deeper into this problem and have seen that the triggers for
  update-notifier-common are getting executed by the installer, but
  there is no file created at /var/lib/update-notifier/package-data-
  downloads/flashplugin-installer. So when `/usr/lib/update-notifier
  /package-data-downloader` is executed via cron.daily, it tries to
  download the file again and if successful creates the above status
  file.

  That means that for each and every installation / upgrade of Flash the
  extra files are getting downloaded twice from the remote location!
  This causes lots of extra traffic, and can fail due to the reason
  below.

  The reason why it fails for us, are the proxy settings and that
  cron.daily does not inherit our proxy settings from /etc/environment.
  But that is already filed as another bug and should not be covered
  here.