Some package-upgrades cured the problem? Or, it was a slight change in apt-get
configuration what helped? (For example, disablink backports repository?)
Today (and that is not the first case as I remember) the nm-applet started and
is working properly. Remained in the panel.
Moreover, it connected (via the HSDPA modem) automatically, no manual clicking
was necessary. In the past, it always required to manually click to connect to
the internet.
I hope it will keep this behaviour and willo not start crashing (aborting).

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-applet in Ubuntu.

  nm-applet icon disappears from menu bar requiring 'sudo service
  network-manager stop; sudo service network-manager start' to get back.

Status in network-manager-applet package in Ubuntu:

  Occasionally when changing Wi-Fi networks the nm-applet icon in the
  menu bar will disappear and require a reboot to get back. On previous
  releases I could simply killall nm-applet; nm-applet & and it would
  reappear but that workaround no longer works.

  Find my self rebooting at least once every two days because I lose nm-
  applet. This problem seemed to start upon upgrading to Vivid.

  Package: network-manager-gnome 0.9.10.1-0ubuntu4
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Fri May 15 14:21:15 2015
  IfupdownConfig:
   # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
   auto lo
   iface lo inet loopback
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" - Release amd64
(20131016.1)
  SourcePackage: network-manager-applet
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to vivid on 2015-04-27 (18 days ago)
  nmcli-con: Error: command ['nmcli', '-f', 'all', 'con'] failed with exit code
9: Error: nmcli (0.9.10.0) and NetworkManager (unknown) versions don't match.
Force execution using --nocheck, but the results are unpredictable.
  nmcli-dev: Error: command ['nmcli', '-f', 'all', 'dev'] failed with exit code
8: Error: NetworkManager is not running.
  nmcli-nm: Error: command ['nmcli', '-f', 'all', 'nm'] failed with exit code
2: Error: Object 'nm' is unknown, try 'nmcli help'.