Is someone still working on this? I use Lubuntu 14.04. LTS and cannot
import an openvpn.ovpn file using the network manager. It says it cannot
read the "PPTP-configuration". Ist there any other way to generate a
openvpn-connection than importing a setup-file?

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-applet in Ubuntu.

  Import saved VPN connection has been Recently Broken

Status in OpenVPN:
  Invalid
Status in network-manager-applet package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in network-manager-openvpn package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in network-manager-applet source package in Trusty:
  Fix Released
Status in network-manager-openvpn source package in Trusty:
  Invalid
Status in network-manager-applet source package in Utopic:
  Fix Released
Status in network-manager-openvpn source package in Utopic:
  Invalid
Status in network-manager-openvpn package in Debian:

  SRU Request:

  [Impact]
  Attempting to import a saved VPN connection file results in a segault. This
is regression in Ubuntu 14.04 that worked correctly in previous versions.

  [Test Case]
  1- install network-manager-openvpn and network-manager-openvpn-gnome
  2- from the network-manager indicator, click on Edit Connections
  3- Click on Add
  4- Select Import a saved VPN configuration, and open the file in comment #28

  Expected results: a window should appear with the imported information
  Current results: network-manager's connection editor segfaults

  [Regression potential]
  This SRU simply adds a couple of missing sections to the
11-user-connections.patch patch that went missing. If the fix is broken, either
the vpn files won't import, or creating a new vpn connection could break
completely.

  Original description:
  I believe recent changes have broken network-manager-openvpn feature that
allows you to "Import saved VPN connection".

  I've tested this feature with bundles that I've definitely imported
  successfully in the past.

  Now, not only does it not import, but it gives absolutely no feedback
  at all; the window just disappears as though I didn't just ask it to
  import a VPN.conf file. The folder (I'm importing the .conf file from)
  includes all the necessary supporting files. I'm very sure this is not
  a user error on my part. I've done this several times in the past and
  I'm certain that the files (that are currently being ignored without
  dialog feedback) are exactly the same as they were when I was able to
  import successfully a few weeks ago.

  I've tested this on multiple machines that have Ubuntu 14.04 installed
  and fully updated.

  And, even if the files were indeed corrupted (which I'm certain they
  are not), the fact that the UI just disappears, instead of showing an
  error, is a bug within itself.

  Also, I'd like to point out, that I was able to set up this VPN bundle
  manually. The point of this bug is to report that the ability to
  import via .conf files (so that you don't have to set things manually)
  has recently became nonfunctional.