I don't see why this is marked with importance "low". It's vital to be able to change fonts if you have short sight. So for accessibility reasons (a legal requirement in UK), this should be set to high.
I have the same problem after upgrading to 14.04. Had I known about it I would not have upgraded. My advanced search no longer works, and I need it. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop Packages, which is subscribed to gedit in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1391012 Title: The preferences menu in gedit is missing. Status in gedit package in Ubuntu: Invalid Bug description: The preferences menu in gedit is missing. It doesn't matter if global menus are on or off. I've searched for a fix but have not found one. If global menus are off the Edit menu has no preferences tab. If global menus are on then the activity has no gedit menus at all. ProblemType: Bug DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04 Package: gedit 3.10.4-0ubuntu4 ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-39.66-generic 3.13.11.8 Uname: Linux 3.13.0-39-generic x86_64 NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.5 Architecture: amd64 CurrentDesktop: Unity Date: Sun Nov 9 19:21:49 2014 InstallationDate: Installed on 2011-12-27 (1048 days ago) InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64 (20100427.1) SourcePackage: gedit UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to trusty on 2014-08-16 (85 days ago) To manage notifications about this bug go to: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gedit/+bug/1391012/+subscriptions -- Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages Post to : [email protected] Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

