** This bug is no longer a duplicate of bug 1322864
   Sometimes the app search doesn't work in the Dash
   Sometimes applications stop showing up in the Dash

Packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  unity dash loses ability to search for applications

Status in Unity:
  New
Status in unity package in Ubuntu:

  Every so often, about once a day (I haven't identified a trigger for this
behaviour), the unity dash loses the ability to search for applications.  I can
open the dash and type, say "firefox" and nothing shows up. Rebooting does not
seem to fix the problem.  However if I type, as recommended here
<http://askubuntu.com/questions/125843/dash-search-gives-no-result> (note this
is a slightly different bug, I can still search for files and the like):
  rm ~/.local/share/zeitgeist/activity.sqlite
  unity --reset &

  Unity restarts and searches for things normally. Somewhat to my
  annoyance a lot of settings get lost, for instance the custom sizing
  of my launcher icons. Fortunately, I can keep working, but I'd like
  this problem to go away if possible.

  I am running Ubuntu 12.04
  Kernel 3.2.0-58-generic

  I am running the kernel released by siddhu in this bug report
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1093217 because
  it fixes a problem where the computer hangs while booting.