Well unity is just using PAM to check if the password is correct. You
can try to reproduce the problem with gnome-screensaver. If it happens
with g-s as well then it's not unity's fault.

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-greeter in Ubuntu.

  Invalid password after long uptime

Status in Unity:
  Incomplete
Status in unity package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in unity-greeter package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  After a 15.04 system has been running for a long time (more than 2-3
  days), and the system has locked the screen automatically during
  inactivity, attempting to unlock the screen will result in an "invalid
  password" message at the lock screen, despite using the correct
  password.

  The only fix I've found is to jump to a TTY, log in there (which
  works), and do a "sudo service lightdm restart".

  I've made no changes to my PAM configuration, nor do I have any
  packages installed which modify it.

  Only other thing I've noticed is that normally, my screens go to sleep
  after the display is locked. Every time this problem presents itself,
  the displays have awoken at some point overnight.

  No obvious errors in auth.log, xorg.log, or lightdm.log.

  Using the proprietary NVIDIA drivers.

  Unity Installed: 7.3.2+15.04.20150420-0ubuntu