Not a bug. NTFS inconsistencies can and do occur, there are steps
provided in the output to resolve this.

** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)

** Converted to question:
   https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+question/272427

  Nautilus will not open an external hard drive with NTFS file system

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /media/tony/Expansion Drive: Command-line `mount
-t "ntfs" -o
"uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177"
"/dev/sdb1" "/media/tony/Expansion Drive"' exited with non-zero exit status 13:
ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
  Failed to read NTFS $Bitmap: Input/output error
  NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
  SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
  then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
  important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
  it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
  /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
  for more details.
  Failed to sync device /dev/sdb1: No such device
  Failed to close volume /dev/sdb1: No such device

  NB I noted a recent update that referred to the NTFS file system and
  prior to that update I had no problem accessing the external hard
  drive that I use for backup. Now I cannot access that hard drive, a
  Seagate Expansion Portable Drive