I don't believe this is actually an issue.  I have the same 'problem',
but Banshee does eventually identify the phone and the music files.  My
phone is a Motorola Moto X XT1053 with 32GB of storage. I figure it is
just taking Banshee a while to scan all the files and identify the audio
files.

I notice those who have posted in this bug are running Android on either
Nexus or Samsung Galaxy phones. This means that you probably have at
least 16 GB of storage that Banshee has to scan for audio files and
identify the files as songs. Sometimes this can take some time.

Packages, which is subscribed to banshee in Ubuntu.

  Banshee hangs after plugging in Android phone

Status in banshee package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in banshee package in Debian:

  When I plug in my Android 4.2.2 phone (a Nexus 4), Banshee hangs and
  the interface stops responding.

  Package: banshee 2.6.1-1ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia