Public bug reported:

Hi.  The first instance of gnome-terminal in oneiric always starts with
a menu bar, even though "Show menubar by default in new terminals" is
unchecked in my default profile.  In the initial menubar, View->Show
Menubar is unchecked even though the menubar is shown.  Toggling this
causes the menubar to remain, but causes a check to appear against
View->Show Menubar.  Toggling again causes the menubar to disappear.
Any gnome-terminal windows created after that appear without the
menubar.

I checked a bunch of menubar-related bugs, namely <a
href="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-terminal/+bug/728040";>#728040</a>,
<a
href="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-terminal/+bug/868152";>#868152</a>,
<a
href="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/indicator-appmenu/+bug/663030";>#663030</a>,
and <a href="https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/666926";>#666926</a>,
They may be related, but none of them seem to describe this initial
conflict between the appearance of the menubar and the inactive menubar
state as represented by the configuration UI.

lap% lsb_release -rd
Release:        11.10
lap% apt-cache policy gnome-terminal
gnome-terminal:
  Installed: 3.0.1-0ubuntu3
  Candidate: 3.0.1-0ubuntu3
  Version table:
 *** 3.0.1-0ubuntu3 0
        500 http://mirrors.rit.edu/ubuntu/ oneiric/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
lap%

** Affects: gnome-terminal (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-terminal in Ubuntu.

  Menubar appears in first gnome-terminal  even though it's turned off
  according to default profile and gnome-terminal internal state

Status in “gnome-terminal” package in Ubuntu: