I have experienced this problem with Ubuntu 14.04. Until a few months ago the problem did not occur, but then I started to observe inevitable failures when the target was a DL DVD-R. I have a machine still running 12.04 which does not exhibit the problem; it has no trouble writing the DVDs. I conclude the change made to 14.04 is the current problem. The error messages I get are similar to those already posted here.
-- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop Packages, which is subscribed to dvd+rw-tools in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/311297 Title: growisofs unable to burn dual layer DVD-R Status in dvd+rw-tools package in Ubuntu: Confirmed Status in dvd+rw-tools package in Debian: New Bug description: Using kubuntu hardy heron (LTS) up to date. I have tried to burn a Verbatim 4x DVD-R DL in my LG GSA-H10N dvd writer with k3b... and no way! The problem is related to growisofs. I have no problem burning CD-R, CR-RW and DVD-R (the only media I used). Of course, the writer supports dual layer DVD-R and firmware is updated to the last version. You can see the output from k3b in the attached file. I have also tried from the shell: jcamen@vicma:~$ growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=2 -Z /dev/dvd1=Almacen/ssbb.iso Executing 'builtin_dd if=Almacen/ssbb.iso of=/dev/dvd1 obs=32k seek=0' :-[ READ DVD STRUCTURE #10h failed with SK=8h/ASC=ABh/ACQ=80h]: Input/output error It seems that growisofs don't like DVD-R DL media. I have made tons of google searches and it looks like there is a serious problem with growisofs and DVD-R DL. See for instance the thread at http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=138641 . Words from Sebastian Trueg, developer of the wonderful k3b: "I am closing this as invalid then because it is not a k3b bug and I will introduce cdrecord DVD writing support post-1.0 which will hopefully fix this problem. " Any ideas to fix this? Even Windows XP is capable of burning DVD-R DL with this writer! :-) To manage notifications about this bug go to: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dvd+rw-tools/+bug/311297/+subscriptions -- Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages Post to : [email protected] Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

