I am experiencing the same issue on Ubuntu 11.10 with gvfs
1.10.0-0ubuntu1 and libgphoto2-2 version 2.4.11-3.

I am trying to copy about 7Gb of photos and video clips from a camera
via USB to an external USB HDD using cut/paste in Nautilus. gvfs-gphoto2
consumes about 2Gb of memory (2.6 Gb VIRT and 1.9Gb RES accoring to
top). This also means its diggin into the swap space (about 1.5Gb of
swap is  used). The system grinds to a virtual halt, and Nautilus
crashed twice during the operation forcing me to restart the copying....

Cheers

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  gvfsd-gphoto2 when downloading a file from camera loads entire file
  into memory first, doesn't write it onto hdd simultaneously

Status in “gvfs” package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: gvfs

  gvfsd-gphoto2 loads entire file into memory by first when downloading
  it from camera and flushes it onto hdd once it is whole in memory
  unlike gphoto2 that writes onto hdd simultaneously with loading the
  file from camera.

  When downloading a video from my Canon EOS 500D camera, gvfsd-gphoto2
  loads it whole into memory by first filling hundreds of MBs or even
  more of memory (once RAM is full it keeps writing into swap) and
  writes it onto hdd only when it is entire read in memory. This
  dramatically slows the computer down and takes a lot more time than
  with gphoto2 that writes immediately and uses nearly no memory.

  I am using Ubuntu 10.10, the latest gvfs package from the repository
  version 1.6.4-0ubuntu1.1

  This is possibly an upstream bug.