Public bug reported:

Current release: Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS
Current version: v3.13.0.68.74
Expected behavior: System boots to GUI showing chromium-browser
What happened: Booted to black screen

After updating my linux kernel from v3.13.0.32.38 to v3.13.0.68.74, my
system does not boot into the GUI properly anymore. X11 starts up and I
have confirmed that I can interact with the screen that should be there
via keyboard (using chromium logs, I can confirm that I can open new
tabs with CTRL+T), but the screen is completely black. If I restart
nodm, X11 restarts and comes up as it should. If I simply switch to the
vivid kernel (v3.19.0.33.20) on the same system the problem goes away
and the system boots properly every time, as well as the system working
fine until I update just the linux-generic package.

Other possibly useful information:
- Every time the system boots to a black screen, plymouth does not appear while
booting nor can I TTY switch to it after booting (instead the TTY it should be
on is a black screen with a blinking cursor), which is opposite of the behavior
observed when the system boots properly.
- Attached Xorg.0.log (produced from a bad boot).

** Affects: xorg-server (Ubuntu)

** Attachment added: "X.org.log"
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1522472/+attachment/4529100/+files/X.org.log

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.

  Black screen on boot after updating Trusty

Status in xorg-server package in Ubuntu: