Ubuntu phones have had MTP support for some time so that original instance of
the bug is no longer a problem
I no longer have the rules workarounds, this has been fine for me on both vivid
and wily.
Which ubuntu version and what are you plugging in?

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  gvfs should not attempt to mount MTP devices in an endless loop
  (cluttering your desktop with messages)

Status in gvfs package in Ubuntu:

  trying to use phablet-flash in raring to flash a phone or tablet (or
  when just running adb shell or adb root from commandline) causes a
  constant reconnect loop of an attached mtp device. it seems adb and
  gvfs try concurrently to establish a connection which results in
  permanent reconnects and a huge amount of mtp popup windows on the
  desktop PC.