Tested with Ubuntu-GNOME 15.10 on VM.

** Changed in: hundredpapercuts

  Allow changing of desktop background colour

Status in One Hundred Papercuts:
  Confirmed
Status in Ubuntu GNOME:
  Triaged
Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  In Unity you are able to change the colour of the background (so if
  you make an image spanned on the desktop, you can make it so that the
  black bits around it are a difference colour), so I would like there
  to be a feature like this in GNOME. I am running Ubuntu GNOME 15.10
  with GNOME 3.18 and can't see any option like this. For instance I
  would like to make the black bits either side of my image white:
  Desktop_Image.png