Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: wpa (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to wpa in Ubuntu.

  Wireless network connection terminates and won't reconnect

Status in wpa package in Ubuntu:

  On: Linux x 3.16.0-25-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 4 12:06:54 UTC
  2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  Wireless connections terminate without obvious reason. A reconnect is
  not possible.

  Every now and then (every second day) the network connection drops.
  The network indicator shows no signal strenght (empty icon)

  The correct connection is selected, a wealth of other SSIDs are in the
  list.

  A reconnect opens up the password dialog (which is an indication that the old
error was reintroduced into the code).
  I reported this bug several times. The reason at the time was that
reconnection would try to fetch the encrypted password and reencrypt it leading
to a wrong password.

  There is a workaround:
  Disabling and Enabling the network connection reconnects correctly. In the
code (as I analyzed then), this is due to the fact that the password from
searing is taken as is and forwarded to the authentication code (not
reencrypted). The connection gets established again.

  This issue did not occur in 12.04 and 12.10 (due to less connection
  problems or due to a fix is beyond me, I simple confirmed there were
  no connection aborts). It reappeared in 13.x and now is back as an
  annoyance.

  The error numbers then were around 460.000 - 490.000 as far is I
  remember (I have deleted bug reports I considered solved).

  I observed this issue on any Ubuntu machine. I also observed that the
  list of SSIDs is extremely long when this incident arises (approx. 15
  - 20). Maybe a storm of SSID broadcasts is the basic cause but I have
  not done any research beyond what I described here.

  Hope this gets fixed for good now.

  Package: wpasupplicant 2.1-0ubuntu4
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia wl
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Sat Dec  6 10:27:42 2014
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Release amd64+mac
(20130424)
  SourcePackage: wpa