Actually Ffx (per #5) can download PDFs here, it just can't open them in
anything other than its own preview. But it won't download and save files.
If I set Prefs > Apps > PDF to Always Ask - it doesn't, and the download
history just says 'Failed'. Same if I set it to open in Okular or Adobe Reader.
But 'Preview in Firefox' does work OK. Unfortunately Firefox's poor printing
doesn't work well enough for the shipping labels so we needed to open them in
Okular first and print from there.
This machine also fails to load PDFs from local files and open them in anything
other than Firefox Preview - again it shows them under downloads as 'Failed -
local file'.

One difference between the 1404LTS machines where PDFs can be opened in other
apps (see #5) and the machine where they can't, are the Prefs > Applications
options for PDFs:-
PCs where app options work OK list 3 options for PDFs, including 'PDF document
(application/x-download) - the relevant one here.
PC where app options don't work (only Preview in Firefox) only offers:
'Portable Document Format (PDF)'.
I tried deleting the mimeTypes.rdf file so it got recreated, and copying it
from a machine that works, but neither helped.

  Firefox 43.0: Downloads fail

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  My firefox just got updated to 43.0. Starting with the update, all
  downloads fail. There is no file selection dialogue any more, just the
  blue arrow appears - and the downloads list says "Failed". I have
  tried the same on a clean profile with no add-ons, and downloads still
  fail.

  In the browser console, I get the following error message on each download
attempt:
  [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80070057
(NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE) [nsIAnnotationService.setPageAnnotation]"  nsresult:
"0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE)"  location: "JS frame ::
resource://app/modules/DownloadsCommon.jsm :: onDownloadChanged :: line 735"
data: no]

  Steps to reproduce:
  Klick on any downloadable file on a website (e.g. ZIP oder PDF).

  Result:
  Blue arrow appears, downloads list says "failed" below the download filename.
The file will not download.

  Expected result:
  File dialogue (with appropriate settings). File being downloaded from the
internet.

  Versions:
  Kubuntu 14.04.3 LTS
  Firefox 43.0+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1