2011/10/27 Björn Michaelsen <bjoern.michael...@canonical.com>

> System crash as in not Libreoffice crashes, but the whole desktop
> session or even the whole OS?

It is a LibreOffice problem which affects the whole desktop session: as a
result of the crash in Writer, the system stops and restarts.

> Needs more specific data, likely not an Libreoffice issue itself, but
> X11 driver or hardware issue.

The problem is specificallly related to LibreOffice Writer. I do not
experience it in any other application.
If you want me to provide more specific info, I am happy to do so. But I
need to know which kind of info I need to provide how.
Respectfully yours,
Bas Roufs.

  LibreOffice Writer regularly suddenly crashes in a working session.

Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:

  WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENS
  When editing a document in LibreOffice Writer, this package or the whole
system suddenly crashes sometimes. I cannot reconstruct exactly under which
circumstances this happens - it happens always in the middle of an intense
working session. After the crash, the system automatically restarts.
  I have been experiencing this problem ever since the latest versions of
OpenOffice before the transit to LibreOffice. Recently, I found at least an
effective workaround - as explained here below.

  WORKAROUND
  The workaround I have found, consist of preventive and curative measures.

  WORKAROUND - PREVENTIVE MEASURES
  When editing the document, I save it after each phrase via the command
CONTROL-S.
  Each +/- 5 minutes, I go back to the folder where the document is: via
Dolphin. First I refresh the document list via F5. Than I copy the document
into a backup-document under another name.

  WORKAROUND - CURATIVE MEASURES
  After coming in the system again after such a crash, I go back to the
document in which I have been working just before the crash: via Dolphin.
After clicking at the document, the LibreOffice document recovery dialogue
starts. I choose the option "Open the read-only document". After opening this
document, I save the same document under another name, after which I can
continue the working session.
  By doing so, I manage to recover the document in 9 out of 10 cases.
  In about 1 out of 10 cases, I do NOT manage to recover the document. In such
a case, I continue the working session in the lastest backup document.

  ANSWERS TO SOME OTHER RELEVANT QUESTIONS:
  Release of the OS I am using: Kubuntu 11.04.

  Version of the package I am using:
  LibreOffice 3.3.4
  OOO330m19 (Build:401)
  tag libreoffice-3.3.3.1, Ubuntu package 1:3.3.4-0ubuntu1

  What I expected to happen: being able to continue the working session
  without any unexpected and non-sollicitated interruption.

  What happened instead: suddenly LibreOffice crashed and the whole
  system restarted automatically, without me consciously provoking this
  course of events.

  Package: libreoffice-core 1:3.3.4-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-12.51-generic 2.6.38.8
  Uname: Linux 2.6.38-12-generic i686
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Thu Oct 27 13:14:40 2011
  InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Release i386 (20110427)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_GB
   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
   LC_MESSAGES=en_GB.UTF-8