I think I have the same but though my phone's sound works just
occasionally sometimes garbled.

Whenever there is no jack plugged in and I start playing something dmesg prints
[  416.722213] lipeng debug|[Sound_Speaker_Turnon] Speaker_Volume: 0

I also appended a version of 'pacmd info' when it's working and when
it's not working, but I can't see a significant difference. So I think
the problem is lower.

** Attachment added: "info_working"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/indicator-sound/+bug/1533251/+attachment/4602560/+files/info_working

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu phone / Aquaris E5: no ringtones when receiving calls, no sound
  when receiving messages; no sound on speakers

Status in indicator-sound package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  Aquaris E5 HD, Ubuntu Edition; Ubuntu 15.04, OTA-8.5

  My phone does not ring / play sound on speakers. No problems to answer
  calls, when having notice by vibrating / display notification; Have
  phone for some weeks now - at very beginning it worked; short after it
  stopped playing sounds; swithched sound on in pathwind & uninstalled
  pathwind - no difference; sometimes it plays ringtones - but have no
  idea under which circumstances; even when it rang for one time it does
  not anymore one call later, although I did not make any changes in
  settings between the calls; does not play sounds / ringtones when
  selecting them in settings (no difference which ringtone).

  Today I made full reset on phone (by Settings) - still no sounds.