The latest NVIDIA drivers now support KMS, so in theory plymouth can be
made to work on them now. however none of this is likely to happen for
the initial 16.04 release

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  NVIDIA does not work with framebuffer drivers

Status in NVIDIA Drivers Ubuntu:
  New
Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-340 package in Ubuntu:

  >On my Latitude E6420 running Kubuntu 12.10 (64-bit) with all updates, there
is no splash screen. Instead, I just see text. This laptop has Nvidia graphics,
though Optimus is disabled so that is not the issue
  Rereporting #1063969
  After installing proprietary Nvidia  drivers - framebuffer resolution can't
be set bigger than VGA and plymouth do not work