Just an aside, both this bug and the one I duped to it mention Ctrl-
Alt-L in the reproduction steps, which would be the unity lock screen,
not lightdm, right?  Or do they both use the same unity-greeter theme
and, thus, will both benefit from the 200 char limit?

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-greeter in Ubuntu.

  Cat causes login screen to hang

Status in unity-greeter package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in unity-greeter source package in Trusty:

  Steps to reproduce:

  1. Leave laptop unattended in a cold room with a warm cat.
  2. Cat will sit on laptop keyboard.
  3. Wait 1 hour.
  4. Lightdm will become unresponsive.

  Symptoms:

  Due to excessive password input by cat, lightdm acts oddly. I try to
  hit enter to try the invalid password and then type in the correct
  password, but enter has no affect. The cursor is not blinking, and
  hitting backspace has no effect. Using Ctrl+a or using shift+Ctrl+left
  arrow doesn't select the whole password to delete it. Hitting capslock
  causes the warning symbol to appear or disappear. The mouse moves, but
  clicking on the settings icon, date, sound icon, or language icon has
  no effect. One person suggested seeing if the cat had triggered scroll
  lock, but toggling between ctrl+q and ctrl+s had no effect. Logging in
  on a virtual terminal still works.

  Alternative steps to reproduce if cat is unavailable or uncooperative about
being placed on keyboard (see attached pictures):
  0. Glare at cat.
  1. Restart lightdm.
  2. Log in as a normal user.
  3. Lock screen with ctrl+alt+l (I'm running Ubuntu 15.10).
  4. Weigh self. Weigh self + cat. Find books approximately equal to 10 lbs,
and various household items to simulate cat paws (I used two large nail
clippers, a fat key, and a bottle opener).
  5. Put items on keyboard, avoiding function keys, backspace, and enter. Place
books on top of household items.
  6. Wait 1 hour.