Public bug reported:

My laptop (Clevo P650RA) has a combined optical out (SPDIF) and
headphone jack. The jack is continously emitting a red light for the
optical output, even when I'm not using it (which is almost always).

I can manually disable this by running 'alsamixer' and mute channel
'S/PDIF 16'. However, this state is not stored. After a reboot it is
always re-enabled. I tried saving alsa mixer levels but this is ignored.

Additionally, when switching output profiles from 'Analog Stereo Duplex'
to 'Digital Stereo (IEC958)-output', the S/PDIF 16 channel is unmuted
again and the red light turns on. But when I switch back to 'Analog
Stereo Duplex', the S/PDIF 16 channel is not muted again and the red
light remains.

Reqeuested info:

16.04
2) pulseaudio: 1:8.0-0ubuntu2
3) I expect the S/PDIF output to be muted until I explicitly request optical
output. Even more preferable (seems to be possible at least on Mac OS X):
optical out is enabled when a optical jack is inserted, otherwise it is always
disabled.
4) S/PDIF light is nearly always on.

Please let me know if you require additional information. I'll attach
the output of 'aplay -L' and 'amixer controls'.

** Affects: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

** Attachment added: "alsa-mixer-controls.txt"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1563307/+attachment/4615887/+files/alsa-mixer-controls.txt

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Pulseaudio keeps enabling optical output

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu: