The idea of having two different sessions (with and without compositing)
sounds nice. Alberts, do you think this is something that could be done
upstream? (I.e. we'll need to clone the desktop and session files).

Compiz is *not* a replacement for Metacity's compositing mode. Actually
Compiz is very broken with GNOME Flashback: there is no Alt+right click
to open panel preferences, there are issues with window decorations,
etc. Actually I was even thinking of disabling Compiz session for Xenial
because of these issues.

Packages, which is subscribed to metacity in Ubuntu.

  Set compositing-manager=false by default

Status in metacity package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  In Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04, metacity's compositing-manager was false by
default.
  In 16.04, it's been set to true.

  I tried to pinpoint the advantages vs the disadvantages of that, and
currently I've only seen disadvantages.
  I was testing with: gsettings set org.gnome.metacity compositing-manager
false (or metacity --no-composite)
  versus: gsettings set org.gnome.metacity compositing-manager true (or
metacity --composite)

  Speed: the speed for window drawing and moving around is 3-5 times
  slower when compositing is enabled. This is rather visible locally on
  old computers, but it becomes a real problem when Xorg is used over
  the network, like for example in LTSP thin clients. There, dragging
  around a window draws it in slow motion a whole lot behind the mouse,
  like a trail, while with compositing disabled, everything is lightning
  fast.

  RAM: xrestop shows that with a couple of windows open, metacity now
  needs 10 MB more RAM. This value increases with the number of open
  windows.

  Vsync: in most cases vsync was broken with or without compositing
  (while with compiz it's working much better). I tried with youtube
  videos, with VLC etc. The only difference I saw is that with some SDL
  games like teeworlds, vsync was working with compositing disabled, and
  was broken with compositing enabled.

  So my personal results is that metacity's compositing-manager=true
  doesn't have any advantage currently, and that it makes old client and
  LTSP client performance a whole lot worse. And unfortunately those are
  exactly the cases where we prefer gnome-session-flashback instead of
  e.g. Unity.

  Therefore I'd like to ask you to consider disabling it by default like
  it was in the past.