Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems like a huge deal and still
an issue in LibreOffice (4.2.8.2 on Ubuntu 14.04).  I have tried
variations of this procedure many times, always with the same result.
The two texts differ in a few minor places.

To reproduce:

  * open Writer
  * copy text 1 from another application and paste into Write via Edit > Paste
Special > Unformatted Text
  * save and close
  * open a new Writer document and repeat the above with text 2
  * open document 1
  * click Edit > Compare Document and choose document 2
  * expected result:  a few small insertions and deletions representing the
differences between the texts
  * result:  one huge insertion and one huge deletion

Why is this marked "won't fix"?

Packages, which is subscribed to the bug report.

  LibreOffice Writer Document Compare (regression)

Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: libreoffice

  Comparing two files has reverted to the old OOo behaviour of flagging
  entire long sequences of paragraphs as different, when in fact they
  are actually identical except maybe for just one or two minor
  typographical differences.