Public bug reported:

As far as I know, I don't have deja-dup set up to do anything.

Behavior: While using other applications, the system became nearly
unusable, with inputs ignored or heavily lagging. The CPU fan was
periodically cycling into high RPM.  I could not even open another TTY.
Eventually, GUI authentication messages started showing up asking for
authorization to modify my user data.

After much patience, I was able to open a System Monitor GUI and see
that deja-dup-monitor was using over 10GB of RAM (out of 12GB on the
machine).  Killing this task ended the issue.

Syslog shows a number of dconf-related messages about permissions denied
while trying to create file /run/user/1000/dconf/user .  This affected
many applications, and some of them were condensed into "message repeats
X times".  In the case of deja-dup-monitor, however, the message
repeated thousands of times.

Package: deja-dup 34.2-0ubuntu1
CurrentDesktop: Unity