@Egmont Koblinger: Thank you for your response and explanation.

While setting the width two wide might look better for single lines,
it's pretty much unusable (the cursor does not get displayed at the
right column).

I've also found another related bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fontconfig/+bug/932958

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-terminal in Ubuntu.

  wrong character width with Ubuntu Mono and replacement fonts in gnome-
  terminal:

Status in gnome-terminal package in Ubuntu:

  I'm using Ubuntu Mono in gnome-terminal.  When displaying some unicode
  (non ascii) characters that are not in Ubuntu Mono and a fallback font
  is used, the spacing between the glyphs is wrong (too small).  The
  fallback characters are double width, but the next character is
  display after a single width, leading into overlapping characters.

  If I see this correctly, gnome-terminal is using libvte which is using
  pango to render text. I therefore checked how pango renders this with
  `pango-view --font="Ubuntu Mono 32" --markup --text='<span
  fallback="true">xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&#13A▷C✚D⚑F↓G↑H..I☺J</span>'`
  and `pango-view --font="Ubuntu Mono 32" --markup --text='<span
  fallback="true">xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&#13A▷C✚D⚑F↓G↑H..I☺J</span>'`
  . In both cases double with characters or "replacement boxes" are
  displayed and no overlapping occurs.

  If I use the "monospace" font, no overlapping occurs in gnome-
  terminal.

  Whose fault is this and how can it be fixed?

  I'm on Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS, gnome-terminal's version is 3.6.2-0ubuntu1,
tf-ubuntu-font-family 0.80-0ubuntu6 and everything is up to date.