Sorry for the delay. I want to help, but I'm not sure I can. I didn't
get answers to my questions in #2. Is this bug about visibly stuck keys
or not? If not, then everything else about visibly stuck keys is
unrelated and should go into a different bug report.

The log file shows the symptom but no cause, unfortunately. There's a
possibility, though that only Small layout might be affected and not the
default Compact.

I'm trying to be constructive, so here's what I'll do: I've ordered
another tablet, decidedly the lowest-end one I could find that will
(hopefully) still run desktop Ubuntu. Perhaps I'll be able to reproduce
the issues there.

@Francesco, we tried to get the the bottom of your stuck key issues before, but
I suppose my requests got lost in the stress before the release back then. This
commit was for you:
https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~onboard/onboard/trunk/revision/1973
Remember, your setup with two pointing devices is special enough that any stuck
keys might as well be unique to that particular situation. If you're ready now
we can retry, but be warned this will probably require a couple of iterations.
Remote debugging is hard and takes effort from both sides.

Packages, which is subscribed to onboard in Ubuntu.

  Typing special characters with non-US layout get repeated indefinitely

Status in onboard package in Ubuntu:

  Typing special characters like .,:;-()"@# (and other) or numbers with
  non-US keyboard layout get repeated indefinitely, like this:

тест...............................................................................................

  This will continue to happen untl other symbol is entered or other
  button is pressed. Reproducible with GTK and Xinput. Testng was done
  on Ubuntu Gnome 16.04.

  Package: onboard 1.2.0-0ubuntu4
  ApportVersion: 2.20-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME
  Date: Sun Mar 27 02:29:05 2016
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-GNOME 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Alpha amd64
(20160319)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)