Thanks for the suggestion to upgrade the BIOS. The laptop is brand new,
so I did not think the BIOS would be out of date.

I did the upgrade but the problem persists. Strangely, after opening the
lid, the mouse cursor appears on the login screen (the session is
automatically locked when the lid is closed). After unlocking the
session, it disappears as said previously.

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  screen remains black after hibernation or suspend to RAM

Status in xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package in Ubuntu:

  I just installed XUbuntu 16.06 on my laptop.
  Suspend to RAM and hibernation seem to work correctly, but resuming from
either of it is not actually possible because the screen remains black.
Concerning hibernation, this happens with the default hibernation method as
well as with TuxOnIce.

  Package: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:1.0.12-1build2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.4.0-21.37~ppa1-generic-tuxonice 4.4.6
  Uname: Linux 4.4.0-21-generic-tuxonice x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE
  Date: Fri Apr 22 21:20:22 2016
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160420.1)
  SourcePackage: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau