My install is new (1 day) Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS 64-bit with the Gnome
desktop added in as I hate to have to do all in command line. In my
situation it is always reproducible and always effects me!

System:
HP wx9400 Work Station, water cooled
Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2380 × 8 with 16 GiB memory
Dual display port Gallium 0.4 on NV92(nvidia)
WD 500 GiB and WD 1 Tetrabyte

Maybe go to Gnome Flashback as this desktop keeps bouncing things around moving
the mouse, I have the real estate on a 20" monitor? I have not found the input
method yet in this new Ubuntu?
nilandenterprise.com
thanks James Niland

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  gnome-software search bar duplicates letters while typing

Status in GNOME Software:
  Incomplete
Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:

  When entering text into the search bar at the top of the gnome-
  software application, the letters typed are doubled.  In other words,
  if you enter, say, the letter "R", it the search bar will now contain
  "RR".  Also, sometimes hitting the left arrow key in the search bar
  will delete both letters that were entered.  Backspace does the same.
  The only way to get rid of the double letters is to try to navigate to
  the second letter and hit the delete key.  Sometimes even that
  solution is inconsistent.

  This was tested on Ubuntu MATE 16.04 Beta 1.