Public bug reported:

>From Firefox 41 one is now unable in about:config to set the New Tab to
a custom URL, and as far as I remember this is due to certain security
issues with New Tab hijacking.

So before one could set it to any URL, now one cannot set it to
anything, but I think that something in between would be better, so I
propose that one is allowed to set the New Tab URL in about:config to
certain fixed values. Probably it would allow you to set it to:

- about:newtab (Default New Tab page)
- about:blank (Blank page)
- about:home (Default Firefox home page)

But nothing else so there shouldn't be any security issues around New
Tab hijacking. Another thing to add, if this does get implemented then I
think that the settings should also be accessible through
about:preferences and not just about:config as these are essential
settings like the home page and will be useful for all users and not
just advanced ones.

** Affects: firefox (Ubuntu)

  Firefox should allow you to set New Tab to certain fixed values

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  From Firefox 41 one is now unable in about:config to set the New Tab