Hit the same issue on my own new Raspberry Pi 3 running Ubuntu Xenial
(installed via http://www.finnie.org/software/raspberrypi/ubuntu-
rpi3/ubuntu-16.04-preinstalled-server-armhf+raspi3.img.xz linked from
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi).

I managed to get a little bit further by installing the "chromium-
browser" package from "trusty" (which appears to be the same underlying
Chromium version backported; more exactly, package version
"49.0.2623.108-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1113").

That at least lets the browser come up, but all the pages crash (as
opposed to the entire browser crashing, like the xenial version does).

When I add "--no-sandbox" (which is inherently dangerous and adds an
appropriate warning to the UI every time you launch chrome), I can get
much further and actually have a functional Chromium instance (but using
"--no-sandbox" is obviously pretty far from ideal).

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  Chromium-browser armhf crashes with "InitializeSandbox() called with
  multiple threads in process gpu-process"

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  crashes on startup with

  [2457:2457:0322/182419:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(334)] InitializeSandbox()
called with multiple threads in process gpu-process
  Segmentation fault

  System ODROID XU3 armhf