I can't figure out how to edit the title of this SDR -- I meant to say
dot.wav, but my fat-fingers types "dot way"... If someone can correct.

  attempt to copy dot.mp3 to thumb drive (dot way takes precedence)

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 16.04 (fresh clean install -- format/wipe of 12.04)

  Nautilus

  I tried this a couple times, at first thinking operator error, but I
  then figured out how to work around the Nautilus bug.

  I have two files in a directory -- one is a dot.wav music file and the
  other is a dot.mp3 conversion of that music file, properly tagged
  (using sound converter and easy tag).

  Here is the problem:

  If you copy the dot.mp3 to a thumb drive (fresh, clean, formatted,
  emptry), Nautilus does not copy the dot.mp3 to the thumb drive.

  Instead, unbeknownst to the user, nautilus copies the dot.wav file to
  the thumb drive instead.

  ---

  I made a few trips to the car before I realized the situation. Again,
  I conservatively decided to make the presumption it was operator
  error. Then, I decided to work around the bug, as follows:

  I opened up a MATE terminal and worked through bash, created an empty
  directory (i.e., mkdir) and copied JUST the dot.mp3 file to the empty
  directory (i.e., cp).

  I probably should have just used bash to copy the dot.mp3 to the thumb
  drive, but I used nautilus instead. This time it worked. I went out to
  the car and plopped the thumb drive in and all was good.

  ---

  I may have had the dot.wav already in the thumb drive at one point.
  The second time, I know I emptied the thumb drive. By the third time,
  I worked around the bug as above.

  So, if I had to take a guess, I would say that nautilus is making the
  dot.wav file take precedence over the dot.mp3 file. Yes, other than
  the file extension, the base names (i.e., bash basename) are the same.

  Regards.