I am facing the same problem. I tried to drag the key file as James Hewitt
(jammy) suggested. But now I am getting bug # 1339607
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager-applet/+bug/1339607

  network manager does not find *.p12 files in Xenial

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  I opened the network manager using Edit Connections from the pull down menu
of the system tray network icon .
  Creating a new wifi connection, I chose WPA&WPA Enterprise in the
wifi-security tab.

  Security: WPA & WPA2 Enterprise
  Authentication: TLS
  Identify: xxx
  User certificate: none
  CA certificate: xxx  (I could chose from file manager)

  When opening the browser for the private key and navigating to the
  right directory, it does not show any *perm, *.p12 or *.der files
  although they are present in this directory

  Looks like this is a UI bug.