Please add a line

Before=cups-browsed.service

to the [Unit] section of the /lib/systemd/system/cups.service file.

Does this solve the problem?

Packages, which is subscribed to cups-filters in Ubuntu.

  cups-browsed causes shutdown hang/delay in Ubuntu 16.04

Status in cups-filters package in Ubuntu:

  Using the debug process found here
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+bug/1464917 I have
  determined that the cause of my 16.04 install's shutdown hang is cups-
  browsed.  It was the only process running when I did a systemctl list-
  jobs in the VT9 shell.  If I do sudo service cups-browsed stop and
  then shutdown, I do not get a hang.

  I have confirmed this on a virtual machine and a real system.  If I
  disable cups-browsed from ever starting, my problem is fixed.