nope. still getting this. with a bunch of apps. try a new .asoundrc
first. then theres a setting but I forget the file that asks which sink
to use. default is pulse before anything else. change it.

try this.

** Attachment added: "alsa config w software pre-amp tweak"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gstreamer0.10/+bug/1178272/+attachment/4671674/+files/.asoundrc

Packages, which is subscribed to gstreamer0.10 in Ubuntu.

  Without pulseaudio, banshee and rhythmbox report "jack server is not
  running or cannot be started" and do not play

Status in banshee package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in gstreamer0.10 package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in lubuntu-meta package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in rhythmbox package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Lubuntu Raring (13.04).
  The Lubuntu standard installation comes without jack, and without pulse, just
plain alsa. Gstreamer applications (rhythmbox, banshee) used to work fine after
installing "ubuntu-restricted-extras", which pulls in the usual gstreamer
plugins.
  On my system, gstreamer applications stopped working. They report:
  > Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
  > Cannot connect to server request channel
  > jack server is not running or cannot be started
  Since there is no jack on this system, never was, and is not intended to be
there, I cannot understand this message. The applications do not produce sound.

  This looks like gstreamer tries to start up jackd, regardless whether
  it is installed or not.

  Package: libgstreamer0.10-0 0.10.36-1ubuntu2
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-19-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Thu May  9 15:38:20 2013
  InstallationMedia: Lubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" - Release i386 (20121017.1)
  MarkForUpload: True
  SourcePackage: gstreamer0.10
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to raring on 2013-04-25 (13 days ago)