I was finally able to get startup notification work in xfce4 panel and
also in the Thunar file manager by applying the attached patch and
without setting GDK_CORE_DEVICE_EVENTS to true in
/var/lib/lightdm/.pam_environment (I simply deleted this file). With the
patch, unity-greeter displays correctly the mouse cursor and works as
expected.

I used the informations from Message #5 from this page:

and since I don't know the vala language, I used in the patch an
external call to a C function.

I don't know if this solution is ugly or not, but it seems to work
well...

** Bug watch added: Debian Bug tracker #742460

** Patch added: "startup-notification.patch.gz"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-greeter/+bug/1582669/+attachment/4672969/+files/startup-notification.patch.gz

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-greeter in Ubuntu.

  Invisible mouse and cursor when GDK_CORE_DEVICE_EVENTS  set to true

Status in unity-greeter package in Ubuntu:

  When GDK_CORE_DEVICE_EVENTS is set to true in
  /var/lib/lightdm/.pam_environment (to allow startup notification in
  xfce4 panel) the mouse cursor and keyboard cursor become invisible in
  unity-greeter.

  Package version: unity-greeter 16.04.2-0ubuntu1
  Ubuntu version: 16.04
  100% reproducible