Can you get new gdb backtraces from when it hangs with the old fix with
two monitors and when it hangs with the new fix?

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  [solved] screen cannot be turned back on after being switched off
  after some time of inactivity

Status in xserver-xorg-driver-ati:
  New
Status in xserver-xorg-video-ati package in Ubuntu:

  I did a fresh install of ubuntu 16.04 on my old dell computer in which
  there is an ati radeon X1300 graphics card.

   Whenever the screen turns off due to inactivity, it cannot be woken
  up by moving the mouse or by hitting a key.

  When I kill the Xorg process via ssh with another computer, the screen
  then comes to life again and I can log back in.

  When I remove the graphic card from the computer and use the built in
  graphic card instead, the bug doesn't occur. So I guess it is related
  to the radeon driver.

  Oddly enough, there is no problem waking the screen when I type "xset
  -display :0.0 dpms force off" in a terminal. Moreover typing gnome-
  screensaver-command -a in a terminal turns my screen off and after
  typing this line, the screen can be woken up by moving the mouse or by
  hitting a key. I'm confused.