On 2016-05-31 18:51, Swarup Dev wrote:
> As to your second question, I would need to make SCIM the active
> input method and test it. If doing so will affect the action taken
> here, let me know and I will try and test it.

Yes, it would be helpful if you could do so. Please note that we'd also
need a reproducible test case at bug #1319872, or else that bug will be
closed.

Packages, which is subscribed to gedit in Ubuntu.

  When using scim-m17n in gedit, the backspace and delete keys are
  dysfunctional

Status in gedit:
  Expired
Status in gedit package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in scim package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in scim package in Debian:

  scim-m17n is an input method used for typing many languages,
  especially those with complex characters.

  With scim-m17n enabled in gedit, when one presses the backspace or
  delete key, then instead of performing the expected work, the cursor
  simply moves one space ahead and places  "" there. Actually when
  I paste that sign here, it is just an empty box. But there in gedit
  the box contains four digits arranged in two rows: "0008" for
  backspace, and "007F" for delete. I have attached a screenshot to
  illustrate more clearly.

  With scim-m17n is enabled, when one presses the backspace key when
  gets a result equivalent to typing: <Ctrl+Shift+U> 0008 <Enter>

  With scim-m17n is enabled, when one presses the delete key when gets a
  result equivalent to typing: <Ctrl+Shift+U> 007F <Enter>

  This behaviour is evident only in gedit. When using scim-m17n in Libre
  Office, Thunderbird, and other applications, the backspace and delete
  keys work normally.

  In gedit with scim-m17n enabled, all the other instructional keys like
  insert, home, end, page up, page down-- these all work normally.

  I have been using scim-m17n since 2007, and this was never an issue
  until installing Ubuntu 14.04 which ships with gedit version 3.10.4.

  This issue is a serious problem for those working with scim in gedit.

  Package: gedit 3.10.4-0ubuntu4
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia wl
  CurrentDesktop: Unity