Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: nvidia-graphics-drivers-352-updates (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-352-updates in
Ubuntu.

  Nvidia proprietary suddenly stopped working and then impossible to
  start X again

Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-352-updates package in Ubuntu:

  Well, this is really weird problem.
  I had installed Kubuntu 16.04 from daily build about two weeks ago, using
only Intel VGA iGPU. Then day 2016-01-05 I installed an NVIDIA GT 430 card and
proprietary nvidia drivers "nvidia-352-updates" from the repositories (using
package manager). The nvidia driver and the system worked well.
  The day 2016-01-09 while I was using the system, the screen started to do
some strange things and the system crashed/locked. By forcing a reboot I never
was able to start Kubunu with nvidia proprietary drivers. The screen goes black
with prompt flashing in the upper left corner, and I can not even enter a TTY
teminal using nvidia driver.
  So what I do is to enter recovery mode and from command line I uninstall
nvidia driver. Restarting with "nouveau" the system also does not start the X
display, I get black screen (without the prompt flashing), but with "nouveau" I
can enter to a TTY terminal and with "startx" I can enter to the system in
graphic mode . Now with "nouveau" and starting with "startx" everything seems
to work fine, but I always get the black screen when startup the system, so I
always should start graphics mode with  "startx".
  In short, from the day 2016-01-09 using "nvidia" proprietary driver I can
never start Kubuntu in graphic mode and I can not even enter to a TTY teminal.
With "nouveau" I also get a black screen when start the system, but at least I
can enter a TTY and start graphical mode with "startx".
  I am reporting for "nvidia-352-updates", but the problem still occurs with
nvidia 304, 340, 361 from PPA. I also Try Kernel 4.3.0-2, 4.3.0-5, 4.4.0
mainline.
  Sorry for my English

  Package: nvidia-352-updates (not installed)
  CurrentDesktop: KDE