Hmm.. fontconfig must parse those XML files at startup to do its job.
While you indicate that it happens at startup of QML apps, my belief was
that it happens already at login.

It may well be possible to reduce the number of fontconfig config files,
but that would be a large project, where you'd need to make sure fore
every single language that the rendering isn't changed adversely. AFAIK,
the fontconfig and fonts-* packages currently used in Ubuntu touch are
the same as on the desktop.

Packages, which is subscribed to fontconfig in Ubuntu.

  fontconfig initialization spends most of its time parsing XML
  configuration files in /etc/fonts/conf.d/

Status in Canonical System Image:
  New
Status in fontconfig package in Ubuntu:

  While profiling the startup of QML apps on the BQ E4.5 phone (armhf) I
noticed that a significant amount of time (around 35ms) was spent solely on
parsing the XML configuration files in /etc/fonts/conf.d/
  There seems to be around 40 files on Ubuntu Phone in that directory.