** This bug is no longer a duplicate of bug 1580836
   Gnome Software ignores software-properties-gtk "When there are other
updates" setting and displays update notification too regularly
   Updates are notified even when they are installed automatically

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  Software update notification triggers way too often

Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:

  The new software update notification introduced in xenial triggers way
  too often. For instance right now I dist-upgraded my system, rebooted
  and upon login I get that message. Also I get it like once per hour,
  regardless if I actually upgrade or not, it keeps on coming.

  Some users even report it is shown every time they plug in external
  hardware, like a camera.

  This notification should only appear like once a day at max, probably even
less often, unless there's something super critical in the queue.